Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Communications Update

I'd like share some of the things I'm working on here at the agency that might better explain why I haven't been posting as often.  To help parents connect with each other, I'm currently building a social media network for parents and family members -- think of it as a Facebook for Ontario ARC.  This will help parents meet-up with other parents who are going through similiar situations.  In addition, it will feature a calendar with classes and seminars, forums and discussions boards, and groups.

I'm in the preliminary stages of putting this site together, but would truly appreciate any information or features you would like to see on it.  Feel free to contact me via e-mail or leave a comment right here on the blog. 

Check back later for more.

3 comments:

  1. I think a social network for parents of special needs kids is a great (and lofty!) idea. I'd have to think on exactly what I would hope to find there, but I wanted to offer encouragement in the meantime.

    One "for instance", I'd love to have access to families of kids a bit older than my almost-16 year old autistic son, for first-hand personal experience on their experience with group homes and options for after school. People who would be willing to share their stories, discoveries, feelings, what they learned by living it. Hearing about it from someone who has lived it as opposed to brochures would be invaluable.

    Anyway, I think it's a great idea and I for one appreciate your efforts on this blog and this project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think having a network site for parents is wonderful. It will be a great way for parents to find families of similar areas. I am a parent of a 23 year old wonderful young man with Autism, a site like this should allow familes to "search" for the age level or maybe even the specific area of disabilty so they can connect with families of similar level of progression. That would be an option, but still be able to offer info to families that are crossing into an area that they have already expierenced and can offer some information. I love the idea, of sharing expierence, stories and humor you have to have to walk the path that most of us are walking. Thanks for your time and efforts you are putting into this site. I would love to help in any way I can Judy G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your feedback!

    To help families connect, we are setting up different groups for parents to "meet up" with other parents, who have loved ones that are the same age or have the same disability. I'm still working out some kinks there, but would love to know what you think about that. This would give parents the opportunity to share their own personal stories and learn about others. I think a search option is another great idea, and I'd love to add one.

    If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. This site is for you, so please don't be shy about letting me know.

    ReplyDelete

We encourage everyone to share their feelings and thoughts about all of our postings. Please be respectful and refrain from using inappropriate language.